The site of Saint Peter’s Basilica uses so-called cookie technology to obtain information on site usage and to improve the user experience.
2. DEFINITION AND FUNCTION OF COOKIES
Cookies are small files that are sent and stored on the user’s computer hard drive through the browser when the user accesses a website. Cookies allow a page, among other things, to store and retrieve information about a user’s browsing habits or their device and, depending on the information contained and the way the device is used, can be used to recognize the user.
3. CONFIGURATION OF COOKIES
Cookies can be classified according to different parameters:
- Ownership: own cookies and third-party cookies, depending on the entity managing the domain from which the cookies are sent and responsible for processing the data obtained.
- Duration: session cookies and persistent cookies, depending on the period of time they are stored in the user's terminal.
- Purpose: technical cookies, personalization cookies, analytical cookies, advertising cookies, and behavioural advertising cookies, depending on the purpose for which the data obtained is processed.
Depending on their purpose, it is possible to define the following types of cookies:
- Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through the website or application and the use of the different options or services existing in it (video to facilitate purchases, social networks, etc.).
- Personalization cookies: those that allow the user to access the service with certain predefined general features based on their preferences (language, browser type, configuration, content design).
- Analytical cookies: those that enable anonymous analysis of website user behaviour and allow us to measure user activity and develop browsing profiles to improve websites.
- Advertising cookies: those that enable the management of advertising space on the website.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: those that allow the management of advertising spaces on the website based on the user’s behaviour and browsing habits, from which a profile is obtained, thus making it possible to personalize the advertising displayed in the user’s browser.
4. COOKIES USED ON THE WEBSITE
The Saint Peter’s Basilica website uses its own and third-party cookies. Its own cookies are used to improve the user experience, while the third-party cookies enable the analysis of Google Analytics data.
The cookies are activated whenever a new user accesses the site or if the cookies have been deleted.
5. BROWSER-DEPENDENT COOKIE CONFIGURATION
The following are links to information on how cookies can be configured and managed in the main browsers:
6. CONSENT TO COOKIES AND SITE FUNCTION
Please be aware that, if you withdraw your consent and therefore disable certain cookies, you may not be able to use certain functions of our website.
7. UPDATING AND MODIFICATION